Stillness is necessary to calm the mind, feel more at peace and low stress.
Stillness is a calm, quiet and motionless state, in which we can learn to stay and expand our emotional wellbeing.
Why is stillness important?
Stillness is Important because in the resting state, neural networks can process experiences, consolidate memories, reinforce learning, regular attention and emotions, and in turn keep us more productive and effective in our day-to-day work.
What is the scientific view on silence?
Being in stillness reduces responses in the parasympathetic system, which is responsible for fight or flight and increases responses in the sympathetic system, responsible for rest and relaxation. In other words, it calms your mind allowing you to feel more at peace and less stressed out.
“We are being blessed with winter”
Winter has a purpose!
Winter can seem like things are dying. But no…
Winter is when the trees and bushes and other plants rest in the darkness, thrive in the cold and let their roots grow deeper to find new places of water and nutrients.
Winter gives natural rest to all growing things. When daylight shortens and nights lengthen. Dark seems to cover more ground. It is the time when the plants let go, dry up, back down and say goodbye.
It is a season of standing still, reflect, waiting, feeling slightly lost, dwelling in the unknowns of life, learning to be okay with slowness. Sometimes it is teaching, struggle and pain. Sometimes it is rest and refreshing.
With this relaxation you let your body know it's OK to save energy. Time to snuggle down, curl up and let nature do his thing behind the scenes.
What I learned from Swedish winters!
Especially in Sweden where the winters are long, dark and cold, I realized with observing how the Sweeds deal with winters that this time of year makes you aware of the possibilities you have and because the extreme weather you latterly curl up inside and have time to reflect, take a moment and become aware where I am in life.
The things I learned from Swedish winters:
1. It is you who decides: Swedes say: there is no bad weather, it is about the layers you wear! This was a mind-blowing awareness when I realized that whatever the weather looks like you have a choice: you either face it and put your layers on or you let it pass and stay inside not experiencing the beauty of nature. With going out, no matter what I experienced joy, fun, more than I thought I could handle, believing in myself and more. It is not the circumstances; you are in charge!
2. Socialize: Fika, a Swedsih tradition: especially in winter time ‘Fika’ is the tool to socialize and make cozy, warm and interactive memories. Fika is a Swedish tradition where you combine your coffee moment with at least 8 different kind of pastry’s. The moment in the day is not important, it is about connecting and being together.
3. A walk a day: More than ever, when you do not know how much light there will be in the day, I learned to take a walk every day. Although it is cold and dark, being outside invigorated me. This is secret of the Swedes to handle the darkness besides taking vitamin D. It is not only the daylight but also the experience going from 20 degrees inside to -20 degrees outside and the movement that give you energy and tiredness at the same time to have a great long sleep later that day.
4. Embrace it! It’s easy to focus on the negative aspects of winter but sometimes you just need to take advantage of a situation and make it your own. I learned to take action, not to postpone or procrastinate. Tomorrow is another day and you do not know what will be available than. Stay active and take action.
5. Balance dark and light, warmth and cold: In December the Swedes celebrate Santa Lucia: Lucia is a mythical figure with an abiding role as a bearer of light in the dark Swedish winters. I got aware with standing still, take time, be in light and dark I could balance my mood, my thoughts and how I feel. I love to lit a candle and stare in it, let my thoughts go and be.
Winter is personal growth in making, time for deeper views, stronger processes. It is the time where we prepare ourselves for what is to come. So that when spring comes, we will be ready. Ready to spring ahead, jump into the new things, full with new energy and insights!
Do you feel out of balance in light and dark? Or would you like to have a nice walk where you can ask your questions?
Send me a message! I am happy to support you.
There are no stupid or wrong questions. If the question is valuable to you, it is to me.